Wednesday, January 13, 2010

FIRST MEETING WAS A BIG SUCCESS

If you missed our first gathering last night, you missed alot! There were alot of ideas to choose from and everyone saw something that they had never seen before. There was learning and hands on fun with Maureen sharing her pattern for scrubbies and teaching interested ones in making these handy tools. Some people tried their hand at needletatting, a new, easy and quick and fun way of making lace edgings and other things for embellishment. Martha showed off a jacket with squares made from her own handmade chenille. Some of us want to try that. Nellie showed some of us a few things about making her beads, and will bring in her torch for a demonstration in the future as well as a lightbox and teach us how to take great pictures of our creations. I alone already have met two new people - right here in Buckhead. My circle of craft friends is already growing!

UNEXPECTED SURPRISE! One of the women that joined us was new to all of us and a visitor from N.C. Her name is Dee Grover and she is amazing. Such talent and artistic ability. Dee brought samples of her creations and the group as a whole were so amazed. We have asked her to teach us next Wednesday afternoon, January 20, 2010 at noon at the BHR Moose lodge. Before I tell you what it is, and what we will make let me tell you a little about her. She is a breast cancer survivor since 1993 and in the past 17 -18 years has donated all of her income from the sale of her work to research for breast cancer - an impressive $180,000!!! While visiting BHR she teaches classes at the KOA and Zachary Taylor. She has to come up with a new project for each week that can be done in two hours. Try keeping up with that.

Her craft is PINE NEEDLE WEAVING. She has written a book on the subject and also incorporates them with gourds. (I'll post a pic for you) She will help us make a woven hot pad next week - here are a list of supplies that you will need: Pine needles (fresher the better), waxed thread and a dull big eyed darning needle. That's it. Some women are going to "find" the needles this week up off 710 by Dee Dee's garden. She says they are everywhere, you just have to look for them.

I had missed telling a friend about our group (sorry Sandy) who happened to call this morning, and she was soooo excited about us and disappointed that she hadn't known about last night. When I began to tell her about Dee's gourd - she said I knew you would say that, and repeated it when I told her about the pine needle weaving. Seems she and her husband have been doing gourds for years attending many classes and have dabbled in pine needle weaving - complete with a stash of needles. She will bring some to share.

There may be friends that you have missed too, so please keep passing the word. Please use this blog to post any information or comments you have. Until then, Happy Crafting

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I am so glad to hear about your group. I want to visit. I live in Treasure Island and I am a member of Tantie Quilters and the Florida Everglades Leather Guild. I also quilt with the First Baptist Church group here in Okeechobee. I'm sure I know some of you all.
    The leather guild is offering free classes at the Okeechobee Libary for beginning leather crafting. Everything is supplied. The first class is Jan. 27 at 10 a.m. and the second one is Feb. 6 at 2 p.m. My guild wants to help people interested in leather crafting to get started. If you are interested in coming, please just give me a call to reserve a spot. My number is 863-226-3436 and you do need to dial the 863. If you have a lot of people at BHR interested in leather crafting, maybe we could offer a class out there.
    Sharon Buck

    ReplyDelete
  2. love to hear about it! You are in for a treat! Kudos to Dee for donating her profits. I am very impressed. I can't wait to see her baskets.

    please let us know how your projects turn out.

    For people who can't get enough of pine needle coiling, come join us at the Pine Needle Group http://www.PineNeedleGroup.com and blog at http://CatchingTheMoon.blogspot.com

    pamela

    ReplyDelete